12 June 2019, 12:26

No one released in politically motivated cases - lawyer Azamatov about arrest of Crimean Tatars detained on June 10


During “court hearing” on june 11 at which the Kiev District Court of Simferopol considered the election of a preventive measure to Eldar Kantemirov, detained the day earlier, his civil rights were grossly violated.

Kantemirov’s lawyer Ayder Azamatov told QHA media about the situation.

According to the lawyer, the hearing was held in closed sessions, and Kantemirov himself was “unreasonably kept in a cage, contrary to the requirements of the European court and the European convention.”

Azamatov considers the case against Kantemirov politically motivated.

Choosing two months of detention as a measure of restraint – fits into the typical pattern that we observe from the practice. In such cases, politically motivated ones, no one is released. They do not look whether there are little children, or what to eat and where to live, – Azamatov says.

Azamatov stressed that his client was only a civilian active person who attended court sessions, came to compatriots who were searched, and held one-person picket (for which he was subject to administrative liability).

“There is no need to send him to the detention centre, as he was not socially dangerous, he will not hide from the investigating authorities and in no way can put pressure on the investigation. The investigation in turn did not make any arguments,” Azamatov said.

The wife of Eldar Kantemirov said that during a search of their house in the village of Zarichne, Simferopol District, the FSB officers who conducted the search did not allow her to call a lawyer, thereby violating her civil rights.

Eldar Kantemirov was detained during mass searches conducted on june 10 by the FSB in Crimea, along with seven other Crimean Tatars. They are all accused of “participating in the activities of a terrorist organization” (Parts 1 and 2 of Article 205.5 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation).

June 11, the Crimean “court” arrested all those detained until August 5.