Five-year-old killed in a blast in Russia-occupied Donbas

News
Canan Kevser
07 April 2021, 16:29
Canan Kevser
07 April 2021, 16:29

A 5-year-old boy died due to blast trauma and shrapnel wounds in the Russia-occupied Donetsk region in Ukraine.

This is reported by OSCE (Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe) Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) to Ukraine on a daily report published on Tuesday.

The Mission said that it followed up on reports of a child who died on 2 April in non-government-controlled Oleksandrivske (47km north-east of Donetsk), a settlement located about 14km south of the contact line.

On 5 April, staff at a morgue in Donetsk city (non-government-controlled) told the Mission on the phone that the body of a 5-year-old boy had been brought in on 2 April and that the boy had died earlier on 2 April due to blast trauma and multiple shrapnel wounds.

On 6 April, the boy’s grandmother told the SMM (Special Monitoring Mission) on the phone that on the afternoon of 2 April, her grandson had been outside her house on Dorozhna Street in Oleksandrivske when she had heard the sound of an explosion.

The grandmother added she had seen black and white smoke outside. She said that when she had gone outside, she had seen her grandson lying on the ground and had noticed fragmentation marks and signs of damage on the house’s wall and a nearby fence.

The Mission said that it would continue to follow up on the incident.