CAIRO (QHA) - Egyptian Tourism Minister Hisham Zaazou said that Egypt had lost 95 percent of its incoming tourism within the past four months, mainly due to advisories issued by several governments against traveling to Egypt, informs Morocco World News. The ministry expects tourism revenue to reach $8.8 billion by the end of the year, compared to $10.5 billion registered at the end of last year, Zaazou said on the sidelines of an economic conference in Cairo. “Within the past four months, we lost three million tourists, not to mention that average tourist spending rates have also slumped from $72.3 per day in the first half of the year to a current $67 per day,” he added. Egypt has seen mounting political and security tension since the July 3 ouster of Mohamed Morsi, the country’s first freely elected president, by Egypt’s military establishment. Experts blame the tourist shortfall on the political turbulence that came in the wake of the bloody August 14 dispersal of two sit-ins staged by Morsi supporters in Cairo and Giza. The minister, however, voiced hope that tourist traffic would return to normal levels with the onset of the winter season. “We managed to talk several European countries into lifting their travel advisories in October,” he said. “And we will work with foreign travel agencies for the return of tourist traffic to Egypt.”

QHA