In his comment to the journalist of the human rights organization Crimean solidarity, the Head of the CEC of the Qurultay of the Crimean Tatar people Zair Smedlya said that he did not believe in acquittal for the persons involved in the so-called "February 26 case."
“Time passes, the trial is dragging on. We all know that the trial is unlawful and the defendants in the case are illegally detained. The judges do not know how to convict them and under what article they should be brought to “justice”, how could they be convicted to make it look lawful," Smedlya said.
In his opinion, the judges will do their utmost to ensure that the guilt of the suspects is fully proved during the trial.
“We should not expect an acquittal from such trials. Therefore, we expect convictions, as it was against Akhtem Chiygoz, Ilmi Umerov, the persons involved in the cases allegedly connected with Hizbut-Tahrir, and other trials where the guilt of people was not proven," he said.
Today, January 11, the Kremlin-controlled Central District Court in the occupied Simferopol postponed the meeting on the so-called case of "February 26".
Reportedly, the "Prosecutor's office" of Crimea has once again changed the indictment against the Crimean Tatars, accused of mass riots in the so-called "February 26" case.
Earlier, the Central District "court" of Simferopol interrogated Arsen Yunusov, one of the defendants of the case on the rally in support of the territorial integrity of Ukraine in front of the building of the Verkhovna Rada of the Crimea on February 26, 2014.
Previously, December 12, the regular court session on the case of "February 26" was held in Simferopol.
November 20, November 20, the Central District "Court" of Simferopol denied requests of the defense to cross-examine Refat Chubarov, the Head of Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people and Akhtem Chiygoz, the Deputy Chairman of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people as well as Sergey Aksyonov, the leader of the Crimean separatists and Pavel Nikel, former investigator as witnesses in the February 26 case.
QHA reported that a month earlier, on October 23, a regular meeting was held on the case "February 26", during which the "court" heard new witnesses in the case.
On 18th of October in Simferopol (occupied Crimea) another court session took place on the Case of February 26 involving Mustafa Degermendzhi and Ali Asanov. Three new witnesses of the meeting, called to the court, claimed that they were present at the rally of February 26 in Simferopol, but they had not seen the defendants there.
On October 12, the Supreme Court of the occupied Crimea rejected the appeal against decision regarding extension of the term of home arrest of figurants in the Case of February 26 Mustafa Degermendzhi and Ali Asanov.
Reference: Mustafa Degermendzhi and Ali Asanov are figurants of so called Case of February 26. They are being judged for taking part in the meeting on 26 of February in 2014 outside the building of Supreme Council of Crimea in support of the territorial integrity of Ukraine as well as resisting Russian occupational Army.