Deputy Chairman of the Crimean Tatar Mejlis Ahtem Chiygoz will not be present at the hearing, which will consider his case, Nikolay Polozov said, according to Ukrinform.
The Russian government will first apply a discriminatory rule of the defendant’s remote participation in the first-instance trial.
Earlier defendants’ remote presence was applied only at the hearings of the second-instance trial (for example, the appeal).
- On Thursday I will be in Simferopol. There's a tough situation there. I should remind that, firstly, the case of Chiygoz, who is credited with "organizing mass disorder," will proceed as stand-alone trial. Second, tomorrow the new rule, according to which the defendant is not present at first-instance trial, will be applied for the first time - Polozov said.
This provision was adopted in 2014 for some "capital" articles like Art. 205 (terrorism) or Art. 212 (organization of mass disorders).
- The absurdity of the situation is that Chiygoz is very close, in jail, but he won’t be brought to the meeting. I'm going to file a complaint, - the lawyer said.
According to Polozov, the government thus wants to test the use of new provisions of the law. For example, the ability to disable the broadcast, if the defendant begins to make speeches that judges do not like (previously Chiygoz had a number of bright performances during the process).
As QHA reported earlier, the so-called Crimean authorities will consider the case of the Deputy Chairman of the Crimean Tatar Mejlis Ahtem Chiygoz separately.
The trial of the Deputy Chairman of the Crimean Tatar Mejlis Ahtem Chiygoz will continue on August 2.
It should be reminded that on May 27, the so-called Supreme Court of the Crimea rejected the appeal against the decision to extend the detention of Ahtem Chiygoz, the Deputy Head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people, until July 22.
Chiygoz has been kept in the Simferopol detention center since the end of January 2015. He is charged with Part 1 of Article 212 of the Russian Criminal Code (‘organizing mass disorder’), which provides deprivation of liberty for a term of 10 years.
There are six accused in the criminal case on the riots during a rally at the walls of the Supreme Council of Crimea on February 26, 2014. Three of them, Ahtem Chiygoz, Mustafa Degermendzhi and Ali Asanov, are held in custody in the Simferopol detention center-1, and the rest, Eskender Kantemirov, Arsen Yunusov and Eskender Emirvaliev are awaiting the sentence at home, being out on bail.
Power outages began in Crimea
Defendant in "Hizb ut-Tahrir" case missed birth of daughter
Chubarov: Mogilev fled from Crimea, when we fought for it
IS Militants shot nearly 300 people in Mosul
Merkel predicts sanctions against RF for actions in Syria
ATO Headquarters: Militants used Grads in Luhansk direction
Egypt resold "Mistrals" to Russia for $ 1
Russia refused to release Kolchenko and Sentsov to Ukraine
Dzhemilev and TİKA opened the Crimean Tatar cultural center
RF Cabinet of Ministers ‘snips’ Black Sea
Court considered case of Mejlis member Zeynur Yakubov in Cr
Putin's sinister image
Road map plan to ensure security in Donbas
Prosecutor of ATO forces charged with illicit enrichment
Crimea-SOS announces rally in support of kidnapped in Crimea
Scary and amazing, leading to the world of the unconscious: exhibition of masks
Italy hinders introduction of new sanctions against Russia
Incidence of tuberculosis in Crimea is higher than in Russia
Umerov received 2 examination results from FSB
Putin feared to see NATO ships in Sevastopol
Russia refused to return control of Debaltsevo to Ukraine
Ships of Russian Navy are heading to Scotland
Collection of unique documents on Crimea presented in Kiev
Anti-terrorist exercises launched in Krasnogvardeiskoe
Sanctions against RF for annexation of Crimea may increase