As reported earlier the first session of Kurultay of Crimean Tatar people of VI convocation will be held on October 26-27 this year. One of the most intriguing issues to be discussed at Kurultay is the election of the new head of Mejlis of Crimean Tatar people. Current head of Mejlis, Mustafa Dzhemilev announced earlier that he is leaving the post. According to Dzhemilev three people may run for the post, namely Refat Chubarov, Remzi Ilyasov and Ahtem Chiygoz.
QHA news agency has asked some of Kurultay’s delegates for their opinion: who could become next head of Mejlis?
Head of Crimean Tatar League of Lawyers “Inicium” Emine Avamileva:
-Let us live till October, Kurultay will take a decision then. But in my personal opinion the only candidate to the post of the head of Mejlis is Mustafa Dzhemilev. He is the leader of Crimean Tatar people, the leader of the nation. Till the moment, I haven’t considered other candidates.
Head of department of external affairs of Mejlis Ali Hamzin:
– I’m not ready to give any names. It is very difficult to choose between the candidates. Still I am surprised that while providing so much support to the upcoming Forum for restoration of rights of Crimean Tatar people under the chairmanship of the European Union, Mustafa Dzhemilev won’t run for the post. He is an experienced politician, leader of our nation. I think if he leaves, the Forum will not be as successful. We are (a group of Kurultay delegates) preparing a letter, requesting him to stay for one more Kurultay session until 2014. The Forum will take place the same year.
Head of Crimean Tatar national party “Adalet” Fevzi Kubedinov:
– It is hard times, so Mustafa Dzhemilev should stay. But if he leaves our party will vote for Remzi Ilyasov. But I believe he should stay for at least two more years.
Head of Crimean Tatar Youth Center Eskender Bariev:
– New leader of Crimean Tatar people should stick to the principles of our national movement and protect the rights of Crimean Tatar people. We will support the candidate, who would promote implementation of projects that we proposed during the election campaign and who supports the principles of the national movement.
Kurultay delegate Ali Ozenbash:
– I think that among the existing candidates, there is no person who will manage the task.
Head of Kirovskiy district Mejlis Ekrem Abdulvatov:
– In this situation I see Refat Chubarov as head of Mejlis and Remzi Ilyasov as his first deputy.
Head of regional Mejlis of Alushta Enver Arpatli:
– Mustafa Dzhemilev is associated with Crimean Tatar people. Most of international issues are settled by him. I believe Mustafa Dzhemilev should be the president of World congress of Crimean Tatars. That is the best decision. As for Mejlis of Crimean Tatar people, Remzi Ilyasov is the best candidate to be the head.