Ukraine cease-fire generally holding, despite of reports of shelling

16 February 2015 09:08
(QHA) -

The cease-fire in Ukraine that came into effect during the night Feb 15 is generally holding, despite some reports of scattered shelling.

The main point of concern on February 15 was the area around the town of Debaltseve, where there has been heavy fighting in recent days. A commander for the pro-Russian separatists in the area told the Reuters news agency that his side does not believe the cease-fire applies to Debaltseve because "it is our territory."

A Ukrainian government spokesman said Kyiv's forces had come under fire about 10 times since the midnight cease-fire but that all shelling was "localized" and no service personnel had been killed.

A Ukrainian military spokesman said Kyiv has prepared storage areas for heavy weaponry that is due to be removed from the line of conflict between the government and Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.