SIMFEROPOL/AQMESCIT (QHA) -

On February 4, Crimea’s Supreme Court heard an appeal against a ruling to extend custodial term of Akhtem Chiygoz, Vice Chairman of the Mejlis.

In an interview with QHA, Zair Smedlyayev, Head of the Central Executive Committee of the Kurultay, said that the court turned down an appeal against a ruling of January 25 lodged by Akhtem Chiygoz’s lawyers, while upholding a ruling to keep Chygoz in custody until March 8.

“Nothing has changed. As usual, the court lent its support to the prosecution, ignoring the defense’s arguments,” said Smedlyayev.

On February 3, Crimea’s Supreme Court turned down an appeal against a ruling of January 25 lodged by the lawyers of Mustafa Degermenzhi, a defendant in the February 26 case, while upholding a ruling to keep Degermenzhi in custody until March 8.

Six persons are charged with involvement in mass riots during a rally that took place outside the Crimean Parliament on February 26, 2014. Three of them, Akhtem Chiygoz, Mustafa Degermenzhi and Ali Asanov, are being held in Simferopol’s pre-trial detention center 1, while the other three, Eskender Kantemirov, Talyat Yunusov and Eskender Emirvaliyev, have been released on bail and are awaiting trial.

It was reported earlier that Crimea’s Supreme Court ruled that Akhtem Chiygoz, Mustafa Degermenzhi and Ali Asanov – defendants in the February 26 case – be remanded in custody until March 8.

QHA