Moscow is not going to listen to the world community opinion about the ban and putting the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people on a list of extremist organizations, RIA Novosti reports, citing Dmitry Peskov, the Russian President's official spokesperson, as saying.
“It is a matter that concerns only the Russian jurisdiction, and so in this case we do not consider it is possible and necessary to listen to the views of other countries. This is an internal affair of the Russian Federation,” Peskov said.
This statement was made in response to the call of the Speaker of the US Ministry of Foreign Affairs John Kirby to cancel the decision of the Russian Federation to exclude the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people from the list of extremist organizations, as well as lift the ban on its activities.
It was reported earlier that on April 13, 2016, the "Prosecutor of Crimea" Natalia Poklonskaya said that the activities of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people in Crimea would be "suspended" pending the verdict by the “Supreme Court of the Crimea.
April 15, the court hearing in “ban on the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people" was postponed for April 25. One of the reasons was the absence of the Nariman Jelal, the Mejlis Deputy Chairman.
April 18, the RF Ministry of Justice has put the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people on the list of public and religious associations, whose activities are suspended due to their “extremist activities.”