(QHA) -

Pro-Russian separatist leaders in eastern Ukraine say they've agreed to observe a temporary cease-fire until June 27, ending 10 weeks of fighting against Ukrainian forces, RFE/RL reports.
 
Aleksandr Borodai, the self-styled prime minister of the self-declared "Donetsk People's Republic," made the announcement today after peace talks with representatives from Moscow, Kyiv, and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
 
The talks were chaired by former Ukrainian President Leonid Kuchma.
 
Borodai said separatists in the self-declared "Luhansk People's Republic" also agreed to a cease-fire until June 27.
 
He added that separatist officials would join more talks aimed at resolving Ukraine's crisis, which has pitted Ukrainian armed forces against pro-Russian separatist fighters.
 
The separatists previously rejected a unilateral weeklong truce declared on June 20 by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.


 The announcement seemed to affect the situation on the ground, with Ukrainian officials reporting an abrupt halt to insurgent attacks in eastern Ukraine.
 
Kuchma said that, if both sides observe the cease-fire, then "a normal peace process could start."

QHA