Russian occupants delivered a verdict in the Mejlis case, recognizing it an extremist organization and banning its activities in Russia, including Crimea, said Zair Smedlyaev, Head of the Qurultai of the Crimean Tatar people.
“The verdict has been delivered. Poklonskaya’s petition has been granted,” Smedlyayev said.
The judges only allowed video recording of the verdict-delivering part of the trial.
Once the verdict had been delivered, everyone in the courtroom was ordered to leave it. Addressing the gathering outside the court building, Nariman Jelyal promised that Mejlis members would appeal the verdict and seek all possible ways of getting the case to be heard by a European court.
In her speech delivered on April 26, Natalia Poklonskaya, the so-called ‘Crimea’s Prosecutor General’, accused the Mejlis of being ‘an extremist organization cooperating with the West’.
As a proof of the Mejlis’s extremist activities, the Russian court admitted into evidence ‘Protest in the Woods’ article published in 1988.
According to Refat Chubarov, Chairman of the Mejlis of Crimean Tatars, international organizations, including the UN, will respond in a matter of days to the banning of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people in Russian-occupied Crimea by taking relevant action.
Speaking at an April 26 hearing, Nariman Jelyal, Mejlis First Deputy Chairman, said that international organizations, such as the UN, the OSCE, the Turkish governments, the United States, the European Union, expressed their support for the Mejlis.