(QHA) -

Ukraine's armed forces on Tuesday rejected allegations that they have indiscriminately used banned cluster bombs in the war against pro-Russian insurgents in the separatist east.

Ukrainian Defence Ministry spokesperson Andriy Lysenko said no weapons or ammunition prohibited by international law had been used and that the militants were fabricating and disseminating false information to provoke international reaction.

The statement comes as Human Rights Watch accused Ukrainian forces of using cluster munitions in populated areas, a crime which violates the laws of war due to the indiscriminate nature of the weapon.

Documented evidence suggested that at least six people had been killed and dozens injured by the munitions, which spread over a wide area on impact. The report also said that it was impossible to conclusively determine the responsibility for many of the attacks.

QHA