The European Court of Human Rights has ordered Russia to pay some 1.9 million euros ($2.6 million) to the families of Chechens who disappeared in the last decade, Radio Free Europe informs.
In its ruling announced on January 9 in Strasbourg, the court said Moscow had failed to prove its forces were not responsible for the disappearance of the 36 men between 2000 and 2006.
The court said the lawyers for the families of the victims had presented credible evidence that their loved ones had been seized by the Russian military.
Russia has been judged guilty by the court of serious violations of basic rights in various cases for its actions during the years-long Chechen conflict.
Chechnya has been the scene of conflict between separatists and the government of Russia for decades.