Court rejects defense appeal in February 26 case

Period of detention of Ahtem Chiygoz, Ali Asanov and Mustafa Degermendzhi was extended for a month by court order of March 11.

8 April 2016 13:21

The "Supreme Court" in the Russian-occupied Crimea rejected a defence appeal in the February 26 case against extension of detention, Zair Smedlyaev, Head of the Kurultai Central Election Commission, told a QHA correspondent.

The court hearing in the February 26 case was held in Simferopol on Thursday, April 7. Judges considered the appeal filed by the defense against the unlawful extension of detention of Ahtem Chiygoz, Ali Asanov and Mustafa Degermendzhi until April 11, 2016.

“The court upheld the conviction. They rejected the appeal ... The decision to extend detention is left without any changes,” said Zair Smedlyaev.

Russian lawyer Nikolai Polozov, defender of Ahtem Chiygoz, a defendant in the February 26 case and Deputy Chairman of the Mejlis of Crimean Tatars, described the yesterday's hearing on his Facebook page. According to him, the April 7 hearing at the Crimean court confirms the absence of justice system in Russia.

“There are people, who dress up in uniforms and judge’s gowns, but they are absolutely dependent in making decisions, they do not rely on the law but on the movement of their “superior’s brows.” They “erode” the foundation of the state and due to them everything will fail much faster than it could,” he said.

Polozov convinced that Chiygoz, Asanov and Degermendzhi will soon be released.

“Even in prison, they are freer than all the judges and prosecutors,” the lawyer wrote.

It was reported earlier that the consideration of appeal against the judge Galina Red'ko’s ruling of March 2 to extend the detention of the participants in the so-called February 26 case was held in Simferopol on April 6.  The defendants then had not been brought to the courtroom from prison.

Photo: Internet