Chubarov: I’ll do my best to stop power supply to Crimea from Jan. 1

The head of the Mejlis of Crimean Tatars told a QHA correspondent, why the organizers of the energy blockade of Crimea have made concessions by allowing repair of power transmission line.

8 December 2015 13:00

“When they say that we were under pressure of international partners, the word ‘pressure' is faux pas. The fact is that when you are involved in a dialog, all your partners set out their positions. And if you do not want to stay in isolation, alone with your problems, you must take into account the opinion of people who you consider to be your partners. Just read the Ukrainian press and reports of human rights defenders and you will see all kinds of reproaches made towards the blockade organizers! It is inhumane, people in Crimea are doomed to further suffering, and at last, problems are not solved in such a way. There were a lot of different emotions. Now the most important thing is that the question of whether or not to supply power is decided not by 500 participants of the blockade but by the Ukrainian society and government, which should accept responsibility for this decision. Anyway, being a deputy of Ukraine and one of the organizers of the  blockade, I’ll do my best to completely stop the power supply to Crimea starting January 1 , based on legal decisions,” said Refat Chubarov. 

It was reported earlier that according to coordinator of the blockade Lenur Islyamov,  the Mejlis leaders Mustafa Jemilev and Refat Chubarov are under serious pressure because of the ‘blackout’ not from Ukrainian authorities, but from the international community.