The Prosecutor's Office of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, serving as part of the Ukraine’s General Prosecutor's Office, has opened criminal proceedings due to a court decision to ban the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar People, according to the website of the Prosecutor's Office of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea.
Reportedly, as of 04.26.2016 the Prosecutor's Office of Crimea has opened criminal proceedings on the grounds of criminal offenses under Part. 1, Section 161 of the Criminal Code (violations of citizens' equality on the ground of race, ethnicity or religious beliefs) and Part 1 Section 353 of the Criminal Code (unauthorized appropriation of power authorization or official title).
- Neither civilized country of the world recognizes annexation of the Crimean peninsula by the Russian Federation. Being aware of the tense socio-political situation, Nataliya Terentyeva, contrary to the current Ukraine’s legislation, agreed to the appointment as a judge of the illegally formed Crimean Supreme Court, arrogated to herself the powers and 04.26.2016, being the presiding judge of the board of the Court mentioned, together with the other judges rendered a decision to sustain a lawsuit filed by the so-called Prosecutor of the Republic of Crimea Natalia Poklonskaya seeking to recognize the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar People as an extremist organization and ban its activities, reads the report. Materials of criminal proceedings have been sent to the Prosecutor General of Ukraine to determine jurisdiction.
It was reported earlier that Natalya Poklonskaya, Kremlin-appointed Prosecutor General, announced on April 13 her decision to suspend activities of the Mejlis of Crimean Tatars in Crimea pending a court ruling.
On April 15, a hearing on a lawsuit seeking to ban the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people was rescheduled for April 25. The judges cited failure of Nariman Jelyal, Mejlis Deputy Chairman, to show up for the hearing as a reason for the rescheduling.
On April 18, Russia’s Justice Ministry included the Mejlis on the list of public and religious organizations banned in Russia ‘due to their extremist activities’. Ukraine, as well as a number of international organizations and human rights activists, condemned the decision.
April, 26 the illegitimate Crimean Court rendered a verdict in the "Mejlis case," recognizing it as an extremist organization and banning its activities in Russia, including the Crimean peninsula.
The Head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar People, Refat Chubarov said that International organizations, including the UN, will respond in a matter of days to the banning of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people by taking relevant action. Chubarov said that due to the illegal decision by the Russian Court the representative body of the Crimean Tatars will work in Kyiv. The Mejlis leadership will implement a Special Council, which will include Mustafa Jemilev, Leader of the Crimean Tatars, Refat Chubarov, Mejlis’s Chairman, and 8 Mejlis members.
Nariman Dzhelyal, Mejlis First Deputy Chairman, said that international organizations, such as the UN, the OSCE, the Turkish governments, the United States, the European Union, expressed their support for the Mejlis.