Al-Qaeda in Yemen has claimed responsibility for last week's attack on the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo,RFE/RL reports.
The claim appeared on the Internet on January 14 as copies of the weekly's latest edition, with a cover showing a cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad, quickly sold out in France.
The magazine had received repeated threats for its published caricatures of the Muslim prophet.
Meanwhile, the French government said that more than 50 people had been detained for defending terrorism since the attack.
The suspected Charlie Hebdo attackers, Said and Cherif Kouachi, said they were acting on behalf of AQAP. They were killed by police during a manhunt on January 9.
Four Jewish men died on January 9 when a third gunman, Amedy Coulibaly, took hostages at a kosher supermarket in Paris. Coulibaly was killed by security forces at about the same time as the Kouachi brothers.