SIMFEROPOL/AQMESCIT (QHA) -

15.31 p.m. - The trial of Ahtem Chiygoz has been completed. Next trial will be held on Tuesday, September 6 at 9:30.

14.48 p.m. - The hearing was reopened. Interrogation of the "victim" Anokhin is ongoing.

13.10 p.m. - Lawyer Nikolai Polozov told about the trial of Ahtem Chiygoz’s case.

“The first victim was questioned during the first part of the hearing; the interrogation of the second one is underway. The first victim became a member of the "people's militia" on February 26, 2014, after all those events. He stated that he saw Ahtem Chiygoz on the site, but could not assert any Chiygoz’s role in the riots alleged by the prosecution. In addition, he had not heard any appeals in Russian and Ukrainian languages. He does not know the Crimean Tatar language at all. Like many others, he had suffered as a result of crowding. In fact, he was trampled by pro-Russian rally participants, among whom he was. He also could not answer the question why the pro-Russian rally participants, according to the prosecution, did not leave the place but continued to stay there when aggressive action begun by the opponents, thus provoking them. He also claimed he saw a woman covered in bruises in an ambulance; she had a trace of boots, as well. But he does not have a medical background and could not tell anything about the nature of those bruises. He came to the rally with his family,” said the lawyer.

12.20 p.m. - Interrogation of the "victim" Anokhin has not finished yet, the court was adjourned.

11.42 a.m. - The court began to hear the second "victim" Anokhin Evgeny Stanislavovich. He became a member of the "people’s militia" on February 23, 2014.

11.10 a.m. - Nikolai Polozov quotes the victim on his Tweeter account: “Yushkov: After the "pro-Ukrainian" rally broke down, I joined the "people's militia" and went home.”

11.08 a.m. - According to Chiygoz’s lawyer Nikolai Polozov, the victim Yushkov joined the "people's militia" on the evening of February 26, 2014. So, he became a "victim" at the direction of his management.

10.54 a.m. - The so-called victim Yushkov saw Chiygoz, but according to the prosecution, he does not know about his actions that led to the organization of mass disorder.

 

9.41 a.m. -  The court has heard the first victim Yushkov Vladimir Olegovich.

9.40 a.m. – At starting, the court refused to satisfy the petition seeking to bring Chiygoz to the courtroom.

9.30 a.m. – The hearing of Ahtem Chiygoz’s has begun. Today, two victims are present.

The hearing of the case of Ahtem Chiygoz, the Mejlis Deputy Chairman, is being held in Simferopol today, September 2.  He is charged with organizing an unsanctioned rally outside the building of the Supreme Council of Crimea on February 26, 2014.

As QHA reported earlier, the Deputy Chairman of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people Ahtem Chiygoz is not present at the hearings in his case due to the discriminatory rules on the defendant’s remote participation in the first instance trials. This is the first time Russia has applied such judicial practice.

According to the lawyer Nicolai Polozov, the government thereby wants to test the use of new law provisions. For example, the ability to disable the broadcast if the defendant begins delivering speeches the judges do not like (previously Chiygoz had a number of bright performances during the process).

The Crimean "authorities" decided to consider the case of the Deputy Chairman of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar People Ahtem Chiygoz separate from the so-called "February, 26 case."

Chiygoz has been kept in the Simferopol detention center since the end of January 2015. He is charged with Part 1of Article 212 of the Russian Criminal Code (‘organizing mass disorder’), which is punishable by a 10-year jail term.

Six persons are charged with involvement in mass riots during a rally held outside the Crimean Supreme Council on February 26, 2014. Three of them, Ahtem Chiygoz, Mustafa Degermenzhi and Ali Asanov, are being held in Simferopol’s pre-trial detention center No.1, while the other three, Eskender Kantemirov, Arsen Yunusov and Eskender Emirvaliyev, have been released on bail and are awaiting trial.

PHOTO: QHA

 

QHA